I have moved to Sunbury. What do I need to do to get sewer in my name?

Relevant Information

When setting up your sewer service, you will need the following information:

  • Account holder's name
  • Date moving in
  • Email
  • If renting, the property owner's name, email, phone number, address
  • Mailing address (if different than service address - i.e., P.O. Box)
  • Phone number
  • Service address

Registration Options

You will need to do one of the following to establish your account:

  • Complete the online Sewer Registration Form.
  • Call the Sunbury Utilities Clerk at 740-965-2684 and setup your sewer account over the phone.
  • Come in person to the department office to register your sewer account.

Del-Co Water

If you have not done so, you will also need to call Del-Co Water at 740-548-7746 to setup your water account. Del-Co water reads the meters in Sunbury, forwards us the reads, and we produce sewer bills based upon water usage. You must have a Delco water account in order to have a Sunbury sewer account.

Show All Answers

1. Where are you located?
2. What are your hours?
3. How often are sewer bills prepared?
4. What is the late fee if not paid by the due date?
5. When are sewer bills due?
6. How is my sewer bill calculated?
7. How can I pay my sewer bill?
8. I have moved to Sunbury. What do I need to do to get sewer in my name?
9. I am moving. What do I need to do to terminate sewer service?
10. Why is my sewer bill higher than normal?